Backend Software/DevOps Engineer Position
We’re Day Zero Diagnostics (DZD), a machine learning-based genomics startup modernizing the diagnosis of infectious disease by developing methods for rapid pathogenic bacteria species identification and antibiotic resistance profiling.
We’re seeking a driven and exceptionally organized backend software engineer with devops experience to join our fast-growing, multidisciplinary team.
As a member of the Day Zero team, plan to play an integral role in designing software systems to support cutting-edge infectious disease diagnosis, while developing a devops culture to support rapid, iterative development. You’ll contribute to the implementation of performant, reliable software, from bioinformatics APIs to ML genomic prediction pipelines, on a modern technology stack, while shaping the growth and culture of the Day Zero software team with a focus on developer productivity.
Most importantly, you'll join a thoughtful, supportive team consisting of leaders in infectious disease, molecular biology, next generation sequencing, bioinformatics and data science.
- The tools and technologies you need to do your best work
- Post-COVID, snacks, coffee, and cold-brew on tap everyday at our Harvard-affiliated shared workspace
- Post-COVID, an always open invitation to the DZD running club, bouldering outings and weekly lunch-and-learn
Some of the technologies we work with every day:
- Code: Python, Golang
- Data: Postgres, Redis, Firestore (GCP)
- Infra: Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform
- Platform: GCP
Responsibilities and Opportunities
- Design and implement production-grade software to facilitate highly-reliable, high-throughput bioinformatics and machine learning pipelines.
- Build performant, scalable APIs around bioinformatics software and trained machine learning models.
- Develop tooling to support our interdisciplinary team of microbiologists, molecular biologists, computational biologists and data scientists.
- Architect infrastructure to promote rapid iterative development while maintaining reliability.
- Mentor colleagues and promote productive devops practices among the engineering team.
- 3-5 years professional backend engineering experience
- Applied experience building production Python systems
- Fluency with modern SQL, noSQL, and in-memory datastores and database architecture design
- Experience using containerization and orchestration technologies in production environments
- Experience building scalable distributed systems on AWS, GCP and/or Azure
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Commitment to promoting productive development and mentoring environments for colleagues
- Experience with machine learning frameworks (Pytorch, Tensorflow, …) and/or machine learning at scale helpful but not required
- Experience building Golang CLIs and/or embedded software with Rust helpful but not required
- A keen interest in machine learning, genomics, bioinformatics, and healthcare - experience in these fields helpful but not required