Reporting To: CEO
Benefits: Includes health insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield MA), Dental Insurance, Commuter benefits, 401(k), 11 Paid Holidays, 3 weeks vacation, additional sick days as needed
Start Date: June, 2019
Minimum degree and field of knowledge: BS/BA or MA in accounting, CPA
Years experience: 6-12 years of experience
Day Zero Diagnostics (DZD) is an early stage, infectious disease diagnostic startup that uses whole genome sequencing and machine learning to combat the rise of antibiotic resistance.
The company was founded in 2016 by a team of clinicians, scientists, and entrepreneurs from Harvard and MIT. Over its life, it has raised $12M in venture funding and is scaling up its development program. At DZD we are modernizing the way infectious diseases are diagnosed and treated by developing a rapid diagnostic that sequences the genomes of pathogenic bacteria, and then uses machine learning methods to identify the cause of the clinical infection.
The company is based in Boston and we are seeking to recruit a talented, motivated Controller who can anchor our financial operations and has the capacity to grow with the company. We value intellectual curiosity, teamwork, a strong work ethic, and a mission-value mindset.
The controller will report to the CEO who is an experienced business leader with a strong background in finance. Together, they will manage the financial operations of the company, with the controller being the senior accounting and compliance expertise around which the company will build. There will be ample opportunities to acquire new skills, work closely with an accomplished and enjoyable team and to provide their expertise toward long term financial planning, fundraising, audit preparation and coordination, and the eventual build out of a finance team.
Reporting to the CEO, the Controller is responsible for all financial operations of the company. The ideal candidate will have had prior experience in different accounting responsibilities including AP, AR, audits, payroll, and benefits. Essential duties and responsibilities include:
- Performs month-end, quarterly and year-end closings journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Month end reconciliations including inventory received not billed/not credited, credit card, credit card suspense, deposits, ST/LT leases, intangibles, and accrued expenses.
- Processes and gathers support for fixed asset capitalization, depreciation, and roll forwards.
- Processes and gathers support for prepaid expenses including amortization and reconciliation.
- Reviews vendor bills, credit card purchases, and expense reimbursements for accuracy and completeness.
- General Ledger review to ensure completeness of GL data and transactions and to identify MoM, YoY, and quarterly trends.
- Leadership role to ensure accounting procedures are compliant with GAAP, FAR (government grant compliance), and requirements for contract review and documentation.
- Analyzes trends, costs, financial commitments and obligations incurred to predict future expenses. Provides analysis and insight in assisting with expense forecasting projections.
- Coordinates annual audits with accounting firms
- Coordinates with government accounting firm for grant compliance
- Responsible for leading review and administration of company insurance requirements
- Responsible for administration of HR policies related to payroll and accounting
- Responsible for banking relationships and cash management
- Additional duties may be added to support growth
- Controller will have administrative privileges for core finance related systems (e.g., QuickBooks, Expensify, Gusto, BillPay, etc.). We believe in automating as much as possible with scalable solutions, but with oversight by a controller.
- Ability to start building a finance team after 1 year. Access to bookkeeping services if required. Access to accounting firms as a consulting resource as required.
- Undergraduate or Master’s degree in accounting or related field
- CPA strongly preferred with previous experience in a large regional or national accounting firm
- Experience hiring an accounting staff and implementing processes, procedures, systems and controls in an early stage, fast-growing company
- Experience in selection and implementation of an accounting/manufacturing software system
- Strong written communications skills and ability to work with and serve the needs of executive team and team members
- Ability to work independently and multi-task in a fast-paced start-up/high growth environment
- Strong understanding of US GAAP, audit process, and FP&A best practices
No relocation or sponsorship will be provided for this role. However, a flexible work schedule and some remote hours will be considered.